Having moved recently, I had to submit voter registration paperwork in my new district. Rather than pick any of the major parties, I listed a party of one: The Foundations Party.
I thought of this party a long time ago, and came up with a list of foundations that the party — i.e., that I — consider important:
- The foundation of society is the family
- The foundation of civilization is productive creativity (or creative production)
- The foundation of commerce is freedom of choice
- The foundations of science are verifiable facts and repeatable experimentation
- The foundations of knowledge are communicable concepts upheld by experience
- The foundations of learning are curiosity and wonder
- The foundations of freedom are autonomy and available options
- The foundation of liberty is life itself … which may be the price paid for it
- The foundation of the law is respect for individual autonomy
- The foundation of civility is self-control
You might quibble with my definitions, but as this is a single-person party, my definitions suffice for me. But are there any other foundational statements I should add? What would you suggest, using the formula “The foundation(s) of __ is(are) __”?
And: Want to join me? 😉by